Sunday 9 February 2014

Viña Albina – 1970


I had my doubts about this bottle, as it was down a bit at the neck and the cork was somewhat knackered. In fact, though, apart from a slight, initial mustiness that blew off, it turned out to be in excellent, delicious condition. The more old Rioja I drink, the more I think it can age better than most Bordeaux.

To begin with, the bouquet comes across most forcefully as mushrooms and wet undergrowth, the note that blows off. Then it is a lovely blend of mature red fruit (I thought of redcurrant) and spiced, savoury pickles.

The oakiness shows a little more on the finish, which seems short in comparison to the complexity the wine shows through the rest of the mouth. Not quite the same delightful, precise, bright fruit of Berberana 1970, nor quite the same finesse, but a delicious and much more savoury wine from one of the great Rioja vintages.

(Although this bottle showed well and gave me immense pleasure, I do expect there are slightly better bottles of Albina ’70 out there).

92/100

No comments:

Post a Comment