Wednesday 7 November 2012

Château de Monthélie – 2002 – Sur la Velle – Eric de Suremain

I saw the word “Château” and, obtusely ignoring the shape of the bottle, assumed we were to be drinking Bordeaux. It was only at the first nosing, when I got a fantastic whiff of pure raspberry fruit, that I realised my mistake.

So, Burgundy; from the 1er Cru vineyard of Sur la Velle in the Monthélie appellation of the Côte de Beaune (the Côte de Beaune being better known for white wines).

The wine is already showing the beginnings of a bricky fade at the rim; the bouquet, as noted, is pure, fresh (not jammy) raspberry, with a hint of vanilla behind. Good acid; it turns out to be brilliant with Chinese food, although I think no particular food match had been conspired. It has apparently come round somewhat; previously light and dilute, it has fleshed out over the last two years. Not a grand wine, but a good wine showing well now.

No comments:

Post a Comment